Links may be affiliate or referral links. All items purchased by me unless otherwise mentioned. All opinions are my own. Read full disclosure here.
I posted on Instagram (@mommymessmer) at the beginning of September that I was going to partake in #sampleseptember, a challenge where you basically use up as many samples as you can to clear out some of your stash. I think I’ve done a pretty good job of using up my sample stash on my own, but I still have a decent amount of samples, so I figured what the Hell? I didn’t use any sheet masks during this because I do count those as full-size products. But I am pretty proud of the amount of samples I was able to use up, especially considering most of my sample stash consisted of foundation + perfume samples.
First up in hair + perfume samples, I used up this sachet of dpHUE ACV Scalp Scrub ($3.16 estimated value). I have used up a full-size of this before and I really love it, but I am also a huge fan of Apple Cider Vinegar products for my hair.
I also used up 3 perfume samples (partly because I kept switching through samples, so now I just have a ton of half-empty perfume samples). I used up the Juicy Couture I Heart Juicy Couture Eau de Parfum ($1.41 estimated value), the Narciso Rodriguez For Her Eau de Toilette, and the Gucci Bamboo Eau de Parfum. I liked all of these, but my favorite was probably the Gucci!
And then, my foundation samples. I’m not going to list these in any certain order because this is already a giant cluster-eff anyways. But, I will let you in on a little secret: I got through a ton of these, especially the darker shades, by using them as my contour. I mixed sample shades to get to a shade close enough to my skin tone, and I obviously had a lot of success using up foundations!
The foundation samples I used:
– CoverFX Power Play Foundation in N30, N60 & N100.
– CoverFX Natural Finish Foundation in N30, N60 & N100.
– NARS Natural Radiant Longwear Foundation in Patagonia, Punjab, Santa Fe, Vallauris, Barcelona, Vanuatu, Aruba, & Valencia.
– Becca Ultimate Coverage Complexion Creme in Porcelain, Driftwood & Maple.
– Clinique Beyond Perfecting Super Concealer Camouflage + 24-Hour Wear in Very Fair 04, Moderately Fair 12 & Deep 26.
– Hourglass Vanish Seamless Finish Foundation Stick in Shell, Nude & Beige.
– Lancome Teint Idole Ultra Wear Stick in 110 Ivoire C, 220 Buff C, 420 Bisque N, & 500 Suede W.
– Clinique 2-in-1 Beyond Perfecting Foundation + Concealer in Ivory, Neutral & Golden.
– Tarte Shape Tape Matte Foundation in Fair Sand, Light Neutral, Light-Medium Neutral, Medium Neutral, & Tan Honey.
– Tarte Shape Tape Hydrating Foundation in Fair Beige, Light Neutral, Light-Medium Sand, Medium Sand & Tan Sand.
– Too Faced Born This Way Undetectable Medium-to-Full Coverage Foundation in Vanilla, Light Beige, & Sand.
– Tarte Amazonian Clay Full Coverage Foundation in 12B Fair Beige, 22N Light Neutral, 35S Medium Sand, 40H Tan Honey, & 51S Deep Sand.
– Juice Beauty Phyto-Pigments Flawless Serum Foundation in 08 Cream, 14 Sand, & 17 Medium Tan.
– Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay-in-Place Makeup in 6W1 Sandalwood, 3NI Ivory Beige, & 1N2 Ecru.
– Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Pro Filt’R Instant Retouch Primer.
– Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Pro Filt’R Soft Matte Longwear Foundation in 150, 220, 340, & 420.
– Kat Von D Lock-It Hydrating Primer.
– Kat Von D 24-Hour Wear Full Coverage Foundation in Light 44 Cool, Medium 54 Neutral, & Deep 76 Warm.
I liked most of these. Some of them weren’t really enough to even do a full face with – even a sheer application. My favorites are the Kat Von D, Fenty, Too Faced & NARS. Those are seriously so good, even in sample form.
This next grouping is the random makeup samples that I used up. Once again, they won’t be in any type of order. That’s pretty much this whole post – but at least I categorized them!
I used up:
– NARS Power Matte Lip Pigment (I just don’t honestly know what shade this was in, but is was beautiful!).
– BareMinerals Original Foundation in Fairly Light 03, Medium Beige 12, & Tan Nude 17.
– Stila Shimmer & Glow Liquid Eye Shadow in Kitten, Grace & Twig.
– CoverFX Anti-Aging Primer.
– Kevyn Aucoin The Etheralist Super Natural Concealer in Light EC 02, Medium EC 05, & Deep EC 08. (I used two of these sets)
– BeautyBlender The Original Beauty Blender.
– Juice Beauty Phyto-Pigments Illuminating Primer.
– CoverFX Mattifying Primer with Anti-Acne Treatment.
– CoverFX Correct Click in Yellow.
– CoverFX Cover Click in N40.
– CoverFX Enhance in Bubbly & Golden Peach.
The BeautyBlender was seriously a joke. It was adorable, with a little pouch filled with water that you popped to soak the beauty blender, but the blender itself was so small it didn’t bounce, which totally defeated the purpose for me.
My last little set here is all skincare! I actually didn’t have a ton of skincare samples in my stash, but I used up what I could find!
I used up:
– Tatcha The Water Cream
– Algenist POWER Advanced Wrinkle Fighter 360 Eye Serum
– Tarte Deep Dive Makeup Removing Gel Cleanser
– Dermalogica Biolumin-C Serum
– Clinique Moisture Surge 72-Hour Auto-Replenishing Hydrator
– Lancome The Illuminating & Anti-Fatigue Cooling Eye Gel
– Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Anti-Wrinkle Moisturizer
I actually liked all of these skincare samples. Tatcha is always great and the Tarte was a surprising find for me!
Did you participate in #sampleseptember? What are your least favorite types of samples to use?